Argos | Catalogue and Digital Retailer
Argos is the UK’s leading catalogue and digital retailer, offering more than 33,000 products through www.argos.co.uk, its growing mobile channels, stores, over the telephone and uniquely, through Argos TV. Argos continues to be the UK’s largest high street retailer online with over 430 million website visits annually. Argos serves around 130 million customers a year through its network of 740 stores. In the financial year to February 2012, Argos sales was £3.9 billion and it employed some 31,000 people across the business. Argos is part of Home Retail Group, the UK’s leading home and general merchandise retailer.
- The Times 100 case study
- Effective and useful segmentation of Argos shoppers and utilisation of a multichannel approach to communication and purchasing
- Led a cross-functional ‘Heads-of’ project team to rapid success and change management
- Furniture strategy: guided it to the position of No. 1 retailer of home furnishings by 2006 with a 6.2% market share
- Jewelry strategy; steered it to the position of No. 1 retailer of jewelry by volume
- Electricals strategy: helped introduce a credible white goods range and leading Argos to No. 3 position in the UK from a ‘no presence’ start
- Retail Week’s Marketing Campaign of the Year award and the ‘Retail’ category in the Marketing Week Effectiveness Awards 2003.
- eCommerce marketing program delivery including ‘click and collect’ development and ‘text and take home’ – which allows potential buyers to text at any time to discover if a product is available in their local store and, if they wish, reserve it to pick up later
- Online sales have risen to represent 41% of total
- Local Marketing strategy yielded a £6m p/a savings and £32m sales growth through introduction of a centrally controlled ‘local marketing toolkit’
- Business Argos
- Tags Electronics, General, Home